3/28/2014 2:20:00 PM Mural approved for Brewster's
by Ken Haggerty
The Cannon Falls city council approved a conditional use permit authorizing a public mural to be placed at 115 Fourth St. South (south-facing exterior of Brewster's) at its March 18 meeting.
The mural is another based on local, old black and white photos being coordinated by the Cannon Falls Historical Society, like the one of an old mill scene across from the fire hall, and the one of threshing operations, located in the city lot on a storage building behind Althoff Hardware.
This mural is based on a circa 1911 photo taken atop Limekiln Kiln overlooking the city of ten local residents (including Long John Johnson, Oscar Lindahl and Clint Lundberg standing aside their very early motorcycles (many of them the long discontinued Minnesota classic Wagner cycle).
The Historical Society has been successful in obtaining grant money and donations to cover most of the costs of the murals so far.
The project is part of a major remodel of Brewster's interior and exterior. A new digital sign will also be going up on the wall.
Permit for house by Cenex
The council also approved a conditional use permit for the vacant structure south of the Cenex gas station at 1201 Fifth Street to be reoccupied for residential use. Ag Partners, which merged with Cenex last year, is the owner. The zoning is residential-business and residential uses need to be approved.
Council members wanted it noted that there are existing drainage issues in the area that any new owner needs to be aware of at purchase.
CFFD sells grass rig to PIFD
The council appproved the sale of the Cannon Falls Fire Department's 2000 Chevrolet grass rig to the Pine Island Fire Department for $25,000. Money goes into the Fire Department Equipment Fund.
TRAM will come thru CF
The Ride Across Minnesota (TRAM), the large annual fundraising week-long bike riding event will come through Cannon Falls this year.
The event, started by Jim Klobuchar, is a fundraiser for multiple sclerosis. It will pass through Cannon Falls on the morning of July 18, a Friday, the last day of the ride, which starts in Pipestone this year and concludes in Welch. About 900 riders are expected. A rest stop will be set up in Riverside Park by the TRAM organizers.
New street names
The council held the first reading as required by law for new street names that will go into effect later this year when the new overpass, interchange and connecting roads are made active.
County Road 24 Boulevard/65th Avenue between County Road 25 and the future County Road 24 Boulevard lying north of 323rd St. Way will be renamed 4th Street south, matching up with how it is known in the downtown area.
The unnamed street extending easterly and northerly from County Road 24 lying immediately south of County Road 25, including the connecting cul de sac east and 311th St. Way will be renamed Sunrise Court, matching the name of the mobile home park.